Installing Realtek Ethernet Card on Fedora 9

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Aug 4 22:48:55 UTC 2008

morethanme writes:

> Hi Sam,
>
> Thanks for ur reply. Would u tell me what should I do or refer me to an internet document.

Well, the first thing that you need to do is form a habit that when you
reply to a mailing list, you always quote the relevant parts of the message
that you're replying to, as I'm doing now. Otherwise, when someone opens
your message and reads it, they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

My suggestion is to do a complete update to your system. "yum update". This
will install the latest matching kernel and kernel-devel packages, and,
after rebooting, you will be able to proceed and build your driver without
too much fuss.

If, on the other hand, you have some specific reason for building a driver
for your current, older, kernel: remove your existing kernel-devel package,
"rpm -e kernel-devel"; check which version of the kernel rpm you have
installed, and you're running; if, for example, uname -r shows
"2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686", then install the matching kernel-devel rpm, "yum
install kernel-devel-2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686".

But I would also question whether you really need to build your kernel
module in the first place. In 2008, I find it rather implausible that you
can find a run-of-the-mill Ethernet card, especially a Realtek, that's not
directly supported by the Linux kernel. Before wasting your time, you should
check if you really need to do this. Just because the manufacturer offers a
downloadable driver doesn't mean that it's not already in the kernel. You
may be wasting your time, here, for no good reason.