Two different users on the same machine

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 5 14:08:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 22:58 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 1:36 AM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
> wrote:
> >> I am running XFCE on F9, and I would like to know how to allow two
> >> different users to login on my machine at the same time. On F8, I
> >> remember a menu entry
> >>
> >> System --> New Login
> >>
> >> but I cannot find it on F9.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >>
> > I'm not sure I understand the problem... You have a user coming in
> (over
> > network?) and they can't login? Or what?
> >
> > If you just wan't a session as another user, you use
> > "xterm -e su - USER2" &
On my F8 system under Gnome the option is: Applications->System Tools->
New Login. But it is not clear why you want to use this and for what
purpose. It looks like it allows you to login as a new user without
stopping the status of the old login.

The suggestions you received will allow another user login but so will
logging off and logging in again. So is the purpose you are trying to
achieve?
Beauty: What's in your eye when you have a bee in your hand.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net