F8/F9 Multiboot question

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Aug 5 16:14:06 UTC 2008

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> [...]
> >         (hd1,1) - SATA-2 - boot-f8
> >         (hd1,2) - SATA-2 - boot-f9
> >         (hd2,2) - SATA-1 - boot-f8 - this is my original "untouched"
> > drive where I started originally. This was the grub I "popped"
> >
> >     b) setup (hd2)
> >         (grub has installed the MBR and fixed my original drive problem
> > - output was similar to Tim's instructions)
> >
> >     c) quit
> >     d) Reboot - I was able to get my original drive back up and
> running!)
> >
> > The new drive I am still working on is:
> >
> >     SATA-2 (750GB)
> >     ======================
> >     *** Note *** Actual sizes are not exact!
> >     /dev/sdc1 - boot-sys (100MB)
> >     /dev/sdc2 - f8-boot   (100MB)
> >     /dev/sdc3 - f9-boot   (100MB)
> >     /dev/sdc4 - Extended Partition
> >     /dev/sdc5 - f8-root    (175GB)
> >     /dev/sdc6 - f9-root    (175GB)
> >     /dev/sdc7 - f-App1    (351GB)
> >     /dev/sdc8 - swap        (~5GB) (I have 2GB RAM)
> >
> I have found in 3b, above: "setup (hd2)", it is the same as if
> you used "setup (hd2.0)".  I have found that once you have the
> partitions for 3 boot directories, boot-sys, boot-f8, and boot-f9,
> you can either copy over the existing f8 and/or f9 boot partitions
> into the new respective locations (as I did),  and as for the boot-sys
> partition, I simply copied over my f8 boot partition, and stripped
> everything above grub directory.
>
> While you are at it, you can also copy over your root-f8 and root-f9
> files into the root-f8 and root-f9 partitions as well.  How you get
> these copied over successfully has mixed results (cp -a, tar, GParted),
> but if you rather use a true clone program, try CloneZilla
>
> As a tool for tracking/verification, in each of the 3 partitions,
> I created bread-crumbs as empty files: BOOT-SYS, BOOT-F8, BOOT-F9 in
> each of the respective directories so that I can ensure that these
> directories are easily identifiable and not mistaken for something else
> along the way.
>
> At this point, I have also found that I needed to run grub setup on each
> of these 3 boot partitions; similar to above instructions:
>
> Boot up the system, if you cannot get into a grub-display at boot-time,
> you may need to boot in Fedora-Live or Rescue CD.  If you can get a
> grub splash-screen at bootup (w/o CDs), the simply hit 'c' for command.
>
> # grub
> grub> find /grub/stage1  (note where your 3 partitions are)
>       (hd0.0)       <-- boot-sys  (/dev/sdb1)
>       (hd0,1)       <-- boot-f8   (/dev/sdb2)
>       (hd0,2)       <-- boot-f9   (/dev/sdb3)
>       (hd1,2)
>
> NOTE!  Grub saw things differently again.  I am assuming that the
> appearance
> of this new order, may have to do with the device.maps that I had before
> from the original f8 installation, and for whatever the reasons, it
> pays to
> make SURE you are "in sync" with what grub actually reports.

Ok, with a review, I know why Grub was different in it's order of seeing
things.  The above find list was due to the fact that I was booting directly
onto the SATA-2 drive - a change in the BIOs as to which boot drive is
the primary boot drive!  Had I booted on my original drive (SATA-1)
the outcome is different as follows:

grub> find /grub/stage1
      (hd1,0)
      (hd1,1)
      (hd1,2)
      (hd2,2)

> Remember about leaving breadcrumbs earlier?  If you are not sure which
> drive is which, you can try searching in this way:
>
> grub> find BOOT-SYS
>       (hd0.0)
> grub> find BOOT-F8
>       (hd0.1)
> grub> find BOOT-F9
>       (hd0.2)
>
> Note: Now we can go ahead to create grub-bootable partitions
>       for each of the 3 partitions we created earlier:
>
> grub> root  (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0,0)
> <results are shown here>
>
> grub> root  (hd0,1)
> grub> setup (hd0,1)
> <results are shown here>
>
> grub> root  (hd0,2)
> grub> setup (hd0,2)
> <results are shown here>
>
> grub> quit
>

> Now it is time to edit the grub.conf files for each of the 3 partitions.
>
> =========[boot.sys]============
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda5
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/sda
> #hiddenmenu
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> default=saved
> timeout=5
>
> title Fedora 8 SDB1
>     rootnoverify (hd0,1)
>     chainloader +1
>     savedefault
> title Fedora 9
>     rootnoverify (hd0,2)
>     chainloader +1
>     savedefault
> title Windows 2000
>     rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>     chainloader +1
>     savedefault
> title Windows XP
>     rootnoverify (hd1,1)
>     chainloader +1
>     savedefault
> title Windows Vista
>     rootnoverify (hd1,2)
>     chainloader +1
>     savedefault
>
> Note: You see the "SDB1" tag?  I wanted to make sure
> that I am actually using the correct boot partition and not
> from some other boot partition from somewhere else.  I
> ran into this trap before - and the reasons has to do with
> the way grub finds files (in a different order), mis-configured
> boot-grub files, and/or /etc/fstab files and it becomes much
> easier to track and identify things by leaving bread-crumbs
> to aide in debugging, IMO.

I also found that I cannot boot the Windows drives- this is due to
the fact that the SATA-2 drive does NOT has windows partitions
in them.  So, it looks like that each drives's boot partitions chain-
loaders cannot traverse drives UNLESS of course you hardwire these
instead of trying to keep things generic in the boot-sys partition?

So I plan to place the windows (chain-loaders) text into the boot-wins
partition's grub.conf file.  I planned to make the original drive into a
Windows only drive - and will remove the original f8 copy out of the
SATA-1 partitions.  I think this will work and will report back if this
is not so - otherwise if I don't report back - it works as planned.