encrypted swap question

Mike C mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 17:34:18 UTC 2008

Deron Meranda <deron.meranda <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The / and primary swap partitions (or logical volumes) are handled a
> bit differently than say /opt.  They are mounted very early in the boot
> process, and in fact are handled by the initrd's nash scripts.  If you
> change the LUKS options for these, you'll need to rebuild the initrd
> (see mkinitrd) as well.  Or, you could just wait until the next kernel
> update and it will correct things for you.
>
> I'd use /dev/urandom for swap; unless it's a laptop and you'll

Great - I understand now - yes I remember there were certainly mkinitrd
issues in F8 which are hopefully corrected in f9.

Indeed this is a laptop - I guess I can re-run mkinitrd manually
and maybe this will work ahead of waiting for another kernel.
Hence referring to the keyfile in /root will be better than /dev/urandom