F 9 problems to install

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Tue Aug 5 19:12:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 11:29:38 +0200, Per Anton Ronning wrote:

> THIS HAPPENS:
> from root: setup
> The box "Choose a Tool" comes up, at the bottom I find "X configuration"
>
> Running this option I see a flash of the text "Cannot find X ..:" before
> the screen goes black and "out of range" appears. Esc brings me back to
> the toolbox.
>
> from root - startx:
> No devices detected
> No screens found
> and a message telling "unable to connect to X server"

[...]
>>  My  22"  CHIMEI CMV223D
>> LCD screen went black and the message "out of range" appeared,
>> according to the vendor this means that it has got a signal which it is
>> unable to process. The display driver is NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT.
>>
> It didn't halt - it switched to the GUI display, but your monitor could
> not display the video it was receiving.
>
>>  From the Linux Format forum I got the tip to boot at runlevel 3,
>> which I did, and then I reached the login prompt. Since the
>> installation procedure did not ask me to specify a user name (blank was
>> not recognized) I logged on to root. which went OK.  Now things seemed
>> normal in character mode.
>> I typed "setup" and got a setup which included X. I tried to configure,
>> but the display driver models did not include CHIMEI  or CMV223D
>> anywhere, so   then I thought I would have to try at random.
	[...]
> The display driver is for the video card, NOT the monitor.
	[...]
> Boot into run level 3, and run setup again, or run
> system-config-display.

	I had a lot of trouble, and got heaps of invaluable advice here,
with the display on a different (HP) 22" LCD monitor, and I think a
different video card, back in June. I'm not sure exactly how similar the
situations are, but that "out of range" message and the others got
woefully familiar for a while -- and they were all eventually licked.

	If you haven't gotten it whupped in the meanwhile, you might want
to skim through threads here that I started during June and that look
relevant -- one on F9 display iirc, one called "Wide, flat, and weird,"
and one or two more. Look mainly at the responses, and try some of the
things they suggested to me to try. init3 and system-config-display,
which you've already gotten, were in there; so iirc was a lot of editing
of /etc/X11/xorg.conf ....

	Hint: in case you're following the list by email, do "yum install
pan," set pan to get news.gmane.org, and take a look at
gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general, which is this same list served up for
your newsreader (Pan, probably 0.132 or 0.133). That makes it easy to
sort and re-sort several ways, has a good search function, and is very
good for skimming. You can also "watch" (i.e., highlight) threads.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers