Wireless LAN cards for Fedora?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Aug 5 20:07:49 UTC 2008

Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
> 2008/8/1 bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net>:
>> hi...
>>
>> for my $0.02....
>>
>> i would argue for getting a cheap ~$40 linksys G usb wireless dongle...
>>
>> i have a laptop, amd x64, running fedora8, and after trying for a few days
>> to get the madwifi/atheros stuff working, i got the usb dongle, plugged it
>> in, and lo and behold.. up/running in a matter of 5 mins!!!
>>
>> good luck...
>>

> I second that .. I just bought a Linkys WUSB54GC and it worked right
> out of the box with Fedora9 x86_64.
> It is using the rt73usb driver / module ... and the rtx drivers have
> been included in main-line kernel 2.6.22(?) since about Jan 2008.

Thank you for the good pointer, I'm ordering one of those. However, it
seems worth trying the latest kernel, which should be coming to Fedoras
quickly. It has some fixes in network stuff, and I would love to avoid
using the dongle if I don't need it. Since I have other laptops, it
still makes sense to buy it now, just to add better encryption.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>