Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 5 19:58:31 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Sorry Bruce;
>
> I don't mean to be obtuse, but ...
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 12:13 -0700, bruce wrote:
>> the 192.168.1.1 in your resolv.conf file is the dns server that the server
>> is using to resolve any domain names...
>>
>> comment out the dns1 entry in your eth conf file.. and restart by doing
>> ifdown/ifup xxx whatever your eth/nic is...
>>
>> you should be ok..
>>

> But I can't find anything close to a eth conf file.  The closest is
> '/etc/dhclient-eth0.conf' and that is obviously not it.
>
> Found two ifcfg-eth0:
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0 , and,
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
>
> Each has a DNS1 referrence
> Are these the eth conf files you are referring two, and if so, which do
> I comment out?  Or both?  Why two and not a link?
> [snip]
That is the file he was talking about. They are actually the same
file. There is just more then one directory entry pointing to it.
(Take a look at the ln command.) When you edit one, you are in
effect editing both of them, unless you use an editor that saves the
original file as a backup file, and writes a new one.

Mikkel