Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 5 22:56:53 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 14:42 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> William Case wrote:
>>> Hi Mikkel, Patrick and others
> [snip]
>
> No Joy!
>> You set it to 192.168.1.1 with the "DNS1=192.168.1.1" line in
>> ifcfg-eth0. This overrides what ever your router is sending out as
>> part of the DHCP information. As Bruce said, comment it out, or
>> remove it, and restart the interface.
>>
> Did as Bruce suggested. Still acts the same.
> (Apologies to Bruce for not reading his post more closely.  Frustration
> I guess)
>
> I found the following:
> /etc/hosts correct as I had changed back to 127.0.0.1
>
> ]# ifdown eth0 gave me a SELinux warning in permissive mode
> ]# ifup eth0
>
> Determining IP information for eth0...dhclient(4380) is already running
> - exiting.
>
> This version of ISC DHCP is based on the release available
> on ftp.isc.org.  Features have been added and other changes
> have been made to the base software release in order to make
> it work better with this distribution.
>
> Please report for this software via the Red Hat Bugzilla site:
>     http://bugzilla.redhat.com
>
> exiting.
> failed.
>
> On rebooting network failed.
> After rebooting:
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/hosts contained the old error
> (192.168.1.3 rather than 127.0.0.1)
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0 contained the old
> error (DNS1)
> etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 contained the old error
> (DNS1)
>
> Corrected them manually.  Rebooted. Still no joy.
>
> Boinc and xchat work with no problem.
> Evo starts offline. But when put online it works.
> Neither FireFox nor Epiphany work.
>
>> If that does not do the trick, then check your router setup. It is
>> possible to set up a router so it gives out the wrong DNS server
>> information though the default setting normally work fine.
>
> Don't know I how to check my router setup or how to reset it
> programmatically.  I can push the reset button or unplug it.
>
> ]# route -n
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
> eth0
> 169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0
> eth0
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
> eth0
>
> The 169.254.0.0 presumably is my ISP (Rogers Cable).
>
> What now?
169.254.0.0 is the "zero config" network. It lets machines discover
other machines on the network when it work correctly...

The usual way to check/change settings on the router is to open the
web browser to http://192.168.1.1 and log in. This should be covered
by the router manual. Unplugging the router will not change anything
- the settings are saved. On most home routers, pressing the reset
button also does not reset the router. You have to hold it in for
anything from 10 seconds to a full minute. This prevents accidental
resets.

You also want to be careful when you unplug the modem and the
router. Depending on the setup, you sometimes have to let the modem
go through it startup tests and indicate ready before powering up
the router. My Netgear router is not happy if I power them up at the
same time - I have to wait tell the router to try again, or wait
until it does it by itself. I think it take something like 5 minutes
after the first series of timeouts while the modem comes up. (It is
a slow DSL modem, at least as far as startup goes.)

Mikkel