Fedora Infinity: A Dumb Question?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 5 23:06:29 UTC 2008

kwhiskerz wrote:
> I have always wondered why it is necessary to issue a new version of Fedora
> (or any other OS every 6 months). Why cannot an OS be like a river, constantly
> flowing and always being the latest edition, with a simple yum update. Cannot
> programs clean up after themselves, leaving no cruft, so that this would be
> possible? That way, one could jump on the infinite Fedora flow at any time and
> always have the latest version of all programs. What forces the necessity to
> stop a particular version and recreate all the software and redo all of the
> old mistakes that were already fixed and issue a new version?

Some changes require changing several major packages at the same
time. But the fixes from the last version are carried forward. It is
just that the new combination introduces new bugs. A lot of the time
these do not show up until a lot of people are using the software in
different ways, and in different combinations. Using different
hardware also shows up problems.

Troubleshooting problems would also be a nightmare when you do not
know what version of different programs and libraries the user is using.

Mikkel