Fedora Infinity: A Dumb Question?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 02:06:51 UTC 2008

"Tom \"spot\" Callaway" <tcallawa at redhat.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 16:36 -0600, kwhiskerz wrote:
>> I have always wondered why it is necessary to issue a new version of Fedora
>> (or any other OS every 6 months). Why cannot an OS be like a river, constantly
>> flowing and always being the latest edition, with a simple yum update.
>
> This is called rawhide. Please keep your arms and legs inside the
> vehicle at all times. Fedora is not responsible for any injuries which
> occur while riding rawhide. Rawhide is not for everyone. Pregnant women,
> or women who may be pregnant (or that one guy who was pregnant) should
> consult their physician before riding rawhide. Individuals with any of
> the following medical conditions should probably not ride rawhide: high
> blood pressure, ringworm, psoriasis, tetter, elephantitis, amathophobia,
> or rheumatoid arthritis. Rawhide may eat you, your children, your
> neighbor, your neighbor's cat, and/or your leftovers from yesterday
> dinner. Rawhide may date your sister once, then never call her again. If
> you don't have a sister, it may date your friend's sister, then never
> call her again. If none of your friends have sisters, it may date the
> sister of someone you have never met and then never call her again. Yum
> sessions which last for 3 or more hours while using Rawhide are not
> normal, please seek bugzilla. Rawhide may conflict with other software
> repositories. Rawhide is not approved by the FDA to treat any specific
> condition. Rawhide will not be brought to you by Xerox in 4 parts
> without commercial interruptions. Rawhide will not show you pictures of
> Bush blowing a bugle and leading a charge by Dick Chaney, John Ashcroft,
> and John McCain to eat baklava confiscated from an Iraqi village.
> Rawhide will not make you more attractive to the opposite sex (try
> beer). Rawhide will break. Rawhide will make you cry. And it still won't
> call your sister (or your friend's sister, or some random person's
> sister).

LOL!  I think that I saw a warning like that on some of the rides at
Disney World...

For those of us old enough to remember, Rawhide also has it's own TV
show and theme song[1]:

  Move ‘em on, head ‘em up, head ‘em up, move ‘em out,
  Move ‘em on, head ‘em out Rawhide!

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawhide_(TV_series)