[Bulk] Re: Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Aug 6 04:07:58 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Although my browsers don't work externally they did find
> http://192.168.1.1 which gave me a setup page.  I didn't change anything
> but here is the output:
>
> LAN
> IP Address 192.168.1.1
> Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
> DHCP Server Enabled Firewall Enabled
>
> INFORMATION
> System Time 2008/08/05 21:28:28
> System Boot Up Time 00000 days 05:17:37
> Connected Clients 3
> Runtime Code Version V2.00.0042
> Boot Code Version V2.00.32
> LAN MAC Address 00-40-F4-91-17-8C
> WAN MAC Address 00-40-F4-91-17-8D
>
> I assume the LAN MAC Address is the address that faces inward towards my
> Local Area Network of 3 computers and the WAN MAC Address is what is
> given to the wider world.  In my case, the wider world would be
> rogers.com, which in turn have their own DHCP server and DNS.  Do I have
> that correct?

Hmm, yes, that is correct.  But, I don't see any WAN information here.
If the outward side of your router is not configured, you're not going
to get too far beyond it....  The WAN MAC address is the hardware
address of the ethernet connection on the outward side of your router.
But, without a WAN IP address (assumably given by a Rogers DHCP server)
you are as good as disconnected from the Internet.

>> Unplugging the router will not change anything
>> - the settings are saved. On most home routers, pressing the reset
>> button also does not reset the router. You have to hold it in for
>> anything from 10 seconds to a full minute. This prevents accidental
>> resets.
>>
> It should work for me.  Rogers.com went through a spot a year or so ago
> when their system kept losing the address and I, and others had to
> unplug in order to reset.  You are right it took over a minute of no
> power to reset the router and another couple of minutes for the flashing
> lights on the cable modem to settle down.  But unplugging then always
> got things going again.  They seemed to this time, but alas, to no
> effect on my current problem.

Unplugging your router and re-plugging it in would have the effect of
re-prompting Rogers for an IP address via DHCP on the outward side.
I can't say from what you've provided whether the problem is with your
router or with Rogers.  You *did* pay your last cable bill, right?

B^)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com