[Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Aug 6 05:59:33 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
>>> On re-boot the script messages still show,  -- "setting NetworkManger
>>> waiting for network - failed".  Then, "httpd: could not reliably
>>> determine the servers fully qualified domain name using 127.0.0.1 for
>>> server name."
>>>
>>> The little NetworkManager gui in my notification panel shows a red
>>> warning with an x and says "No network connection".
>>>
>>> Epiphany and FireFox, along with Evolution, start offline.  Putting all
>>> three back online gets them all working.  Here is the strange thing.
>>> Previously when I put Epiphany and Firefox back online as soon as I
>>> started them again they went off line immediately.  This time they
>>> stayed on.  I loaded several fresh pages and everything continued to
>>> work.
>> Something else to look at...  What does your network routing look like?
>> Do you have a proper default route?  If not, you won't be able to get
>> beyond your local subnet.
>>
>> /sin/route
>
> I have posted the result of route -n earlier.  There is nothing
> interesting there.

Sorry, I joined in late.  I didn't check earlier emails.

> ]$ route -n
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
> eth0
> 169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0
> eth0
> 0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
> eth0

Yeup, looks good.

  >>> I just shut down and cold rebooted to be sure before sending this
post.
>>> Every thing is still as above.
>> Check your network routing tables.  If you don't tell the networking how
>>   to get there, it doesn't know.
>>
>>> A new wrinkle I didn't report, but now Evolution is asking for IP
>>> account passwords each time I start it.  It had stopped doing that in
>>> Fedora 9.
>
> Remember Kevin, I am getting ISP service.  Everything seems to be
> boiling down to a NetworkManager problem.

Yeah.  I'm trying to figure out what might be wrong based on your
percieved inability to route properly.

I just went back and looked, you have a wired ethernet setup.  Why are
you using NetworkManager?  Have you tried disabling NetworkManager and
starting up the "network" service in its place?  (Unless you are somehow
married to using NetworkManager....)  "sysconfig-config-network" can
then be used to configure the ethernet card, even for DHCP from your
router.  (I gave up on using DHCP for my server though, its much better
that it always have the *same* IP address in my network for obvious
reasons.  its the server!)

I use NetworkManager only on my F9 laptop, but my F8 server uses the
"network" service.

When I have network routing problems, I often configure ethernet cards
and their routing by hand in order to rule out other problems.  I've
been doing this for well over 10 years when I have problems.  Though I
can't remember that last time DHCP didn't work right on Fedora from my
router.

I find traceroute and ping useful tools when tracking down network
routing problems.  They help point the finger at guilty parties.
If you know where your routing is failing (and its your equipment), you
can usually fix it.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com