time/ntp[d]

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Wed Aug 6 13:14:17 UTC 2008

---- michael <cs at networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:
> It seems my clock is losing time but yet I have 'enable Network Time
> Protocol' enabled and set to a local time machine. If I
>
> 	sudo /etc/init.d/ntpd stop
> 	sudo /usr/sbin/ntpdate 130.88.200.6
>
> then it resets it to the correct time, so how come it's losing time?
>
> I was expecting to see stats in /var/log/ntpstats (as per my Debian box)
> but that dir doesn't exist on this Fed box...
>
> Any ideas folks? Ta, M

Check the options in your ntpd command. From the man page:
-s statsdir
               Specify the directory path for files created by the statistics facility. This is the same operation as the statsdir statsdir configuration command.

In my F9 setup, ntpd runs like this:
# ps -ef | grep ntpd
ntp       3350     1  0 08:59 ?        00:00:00 ntpd -u ntp:ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g

ie no -s option do I don't see any stats in /var/log/ntpstats either. You can change the options by editing /etc/sysconfig/ntpd

While ntpd is running, try ntpq -p from the command line which should tell you which peers ntp is talking to or maybe not talking to.

HTH,
Steve

PS.
> 	sudo /etc/init.d/ntpd stop