time/ntp[d]

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Wed Aug 6 16:16:48 UTC 2008

michael wrote:
> mkb at veri:~$ sudo /usr/sbin/ntpq -p
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
>===
>  utserv.mcc.ac.u 193.62.22.98     2 u    7   64    1    2.575  348421.
> 0.001
>
> but not sure what that means....

· Your time is not synchronized yet, as the line begins with a space. If NTPD
thinks the server seems reliable it will synchronize to it, and an asterisk
should appear before the server's name.
· remote: NTPD is talking to utserv.mcc.ac.u... (The name is truncated.)
· refid: utserv is synchronized to 193.62.22.98.
· st: utserv is at stratum 2, so you'll be at stratum 3.
· I'm not sure about the "t" field. It might mean type of timesource.
· when: NTPD latest queried utserv 7 seconds ago.
· poll: The interval between queries is currently 64 seconds. This will
gradually increase to 1024 seconds if the communication works well.
· reach appears to be an array of eight bits represented as an octal number.
It keeps track of whether responses were received to the eight latest
queries. As you just started NTPD there's only been one query so far. If no
packets are lost the value will eventually be 377.
· delay: A roundtrip to utserv and back takes 2.575 milliseconds. I don't know
if this is the latest roundtrip or some sort of average.
· offset: Your time differs with 348.421 seconds from utserv's time. When
synchronized, NTPD should be able to keep this below a tenth of a second.
· jitter is, as far as I understand, a measure of the server's stability. If
its time doesn't appear to be running uniformly, the jitter value will be
high. (Varying delays in communication can cause this.)

Björn Persson