Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !? -- [SOLVED by removing NetworkManager]

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Aug 6 20:23:29 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Hi g;
>
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:32 +0000, g wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> <snip>
>> [snip]
>
> from following the many post for help with networking, one thing that
> is apparent, 'network manager' is a good idea, but not without many
> bugs. in most all of threads, main suggestion is 'turn it off'.
>
>> I too saw those posts.
>
> i would have suggested this to you when i sent what i did on 'aopen',
> accept that i thought it had already been suggested, which is usually
> among first suggestions. from your last couple post, it became evident
> that it was not.
>
>> To me, at the moment, the problem is not solved by turning
>> NetworkManager off.  (It is off for the moment so I can do some other
>> work easily.)  I consider it a bit of a challenge to either get it
>> working or finding out what the real 'bug' is.
>
> rest assured, i am not trying to be 'off tone', 'snide', 'insulting',
> or anything else of a negative attitude. just trying to offer you some
> more help so you can enjoy a working linux system.
>
> best to you.
>
>> "The Hell you say."

If you'd like to learn more about linux networking, do as I did.  Go to
/etc/sysconfig/networking and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directories
and poke around.  Look at the scriplets and scripts in there and see how
networking gets configured.  In particular, look at the ifcfg-eth0
script and the ifup stuff.  See how it all fits together.
system-config-network does little more than put these scripts together
so that your networking comes up properly configured upon bootup.  ifup
should configure and start a network interface, while ifdown should shut
one down.  (duh!)  the command "ifup eth0" and "ifdown eth0" should
start and stop  networking on eth0 if its been configured properly.

Lots of fun!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com