setting up WPA Personal (F9 & KDE 4.1 (from updates-testing))

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 02:28:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 18:38 -0700, Michael Park wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I read here ( http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3462 ) that KDE 4.1's
> getting a plasmoid front-end to NetworkManager (which doesn't seem to
> be in 'updates-testing' yet).

The Gnome nm-applet works fine under KDE.

> Till that arrives, can someone either
> point me to a howto or explain how I can go about setting up a WPA
> connection for an Intel 4965 AGN wifi adapter (Thinkpad T61).
>
> I tried playing with 'system-config-network' and it seems to be
> lacking any WPA configuration options. Can anyone help point me in the
> right direction?

The community wisdom around here is that you should choose between
system-config-network and NM, but don't try to mix them as they don't
get on, i.e. disable one or the other. On the whole NM seems better
suited to wireless, though personally I use it with a wired connection
and haven't had problems.

poc