setting up WPA Personal (F9 & KDE 4.1 (from updates-testing))

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 9 13:38:39 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 21:06 +1000, Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
> 2008/8/9 Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>:

> >> When I was using F7, I remember that there was something like
> >> KNetworkManager, that runs as an icon in the system tray in KDE. It
> >> also allows you to see the available wireless networks, the SSIDs, and
> >> the signal strengths of each wireless network found.
> >>
> >> The NetworkManager for gnome does not show these available wireless networks.
> >>
> > On my F9 NetworkManager shows you all those things.
> > --
>
> On F9, the NetworkManager applet makes you ADD the wireless network MANUALLY.
> There are "Wired", "Wireless", "Mobile Broadband", "VPN", "DSL" tabs.
> On each of those tabs, you have "Add", "Edit", and "Delete" buttons.
> They don't show you the available wireless networks that it detects,
> but you have to add them yourself, specify the SSID, etc.
>
> Are we talking about the same NetworkManager ?

Yes it is the same, however, we have to be more exact in our
communication. If you have a wired connection that will be detected and
the connection made without your having to do anything. Any WEP, WPA,
etc networks that are available will appear with their SSID under the
nm-applet and clicking on one of them will allow you to put in any
security information that is needed and the connection will be made.
That information will be remembered for future connections.

I have not had access to any VPN Connections so I am not sure how this
works.. But you certainly don't have to add any of these connections
manually.

How much does it cost to entice a dope-smoking UNIX system guru to
Dayton? -- Brian Boyle, UNIX/WORLD's First Annual Salary Survey
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net