WiFi: Conceptronic C54Ri (RaLink RT2500) and WPA no go

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 9 14:52:26 UTC 2008

Hi g,

Thank you for your feedback. Comments inline. By the way, your
0xD464C3FC key could not be found by any of the keyservers offered by
enigmail.

g wrote:
> Patrick wrote:
> <snip>
>> Does anyone have any experience with this card or any RaLink RT2500
>> based card howto make NetworkManager (or system-config network)
>> successfully set up a WPA2/CCMP (AES) link to an AP?
>
> not specific to your above request, but in your 'zillion pages', did
> you happen on below?
>
> a search at 'the linux documentation project', http://www.tldp.org
>
> for 'wpa2';
>   http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/8021X-HOWTO/intro.html
>   http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/8021X-HOWTO/dynwep.html
>   http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/8021X-HOWTO/
>   http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/text/8021X-HOWTO
>   http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LGNET/132/TWDT.html
> for "wpa2" AND "ccmp'
>   http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/text/8021X-HOWTO

Yup seen those.

> at http://linuxwireless.org/ you will find on page;
>
> February 4th, 2008
>
> Linux 2.6.24 was released on January 28th. It includes a horde of new
> wireless drivers:
>
>  * Intel Wireless Link (iwlwifi) drivers for iwl3945 and iwl4965
>  * SDIO driver for Marvell's Libertas 8385 and 8686 hardware
>  * Ralink drivers for RT2400/RT2500/RT61 (PCI/PCMCIA), RT2500/RT73 (USB)

Seen that too and I have tried the rt2500pci kernel module but using
that module the wifi card would not even setup a link to an open AP (or
an AP with WEP encryption). Seems that module could use some TLC.

> links for last line are;
>   http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/rt61pci
>   http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/rt73usb

The C54Ri card specifically needs the rt2500 or rt2500pci kernel module.
The rt61pci kernel module is for cards with newer rt25xx chipsets.

My next step is to try the rt2500 legacy driver from
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/rt2500-cvs-daily.tar.gz with the
rt2500fix2-fc9-2.6.25.10-and-above.patch.gz patch so it compiles on F9
from
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4908&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Regards,
Patrick