OT: Cleaning video head on my Betamax VCR

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Aug 9 19:59:50 UTC 2008

Sorry for this totally OT ?

Some years ago, while on a boat in Belgium, which had a 3 phase shoreline,
some silly electrician who was going to work on the electrics, removed the
neutral first, which resulted in 400+ volts ending up in the tuner timer unit
of my Sony Betamax VCR, which killed it. Thankfully the VCR unit was not
running at the time, and I've recently hooked up a 12volt power supply to the
VCR, and a tape that has been stuck in the machine for some years, played
back a star trek episode on xawtv, like it was yesterday.

Now thinking that all was ok with the player unit, I removed the cassette, and
tried another one, and that's where the manure hit the fan. The sound was
fine as it always was on Betamax, but the video is jumping all over the
place. Removed the new cassette, and replaced the original one. That too
still has good sound but the video is out to lunch now.

I did have a head cleaner cassette for this machine, but can't find it, and
from googling they no longer seem to be available.

Any suggestions as to what I can use to manually clean the video head? I'm
thinking cleaning fluids here.

Much appreciation for any suggestions. I know this isn't a Linux ?, but am
trying to play my Betamax tapes on Fedora using xawtv.

Nigel.

btw: I'm currently listening to the Simpsons episode, where Homer gets free
cable tv. the sound is superb, but the video falls a bit short of the mark.