Hardware trouble? Me? Or ...??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sat Aug 9 20:46:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 17:12:25 +0000, g wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
> <snip>
>> I thought I had implied that it was indeed the only way, or the
>
> you did, but you failed to mention 2 computers on same ups. [see below]

	That was probably a red herring and a brain fart, actually; the
second is a laptop -- there at the moment, because I'm finishing up an
install. It doesn't live there.

>> No power cord I've ever seen could be pulled fast from anything I
>
> not a matter of strength. 'fast' instead of 'slow'. also, there you go
> using 'power cord'. 'power cord plug', never by 'power cord'. [i know, i
> am just trying to maintain a way thinking to doing]

	I don't understand the terminological quibble. (I do pull by the
plug, not the cord.) What I'm trying to say is that the power cords I
have plug so deep and so tightly into both ends that the only way to
remove one is to wiggle it, gaining perhaps 1/5 mm per wiggle. That
consumes several seconds.

>> Would it be better to turn the UPS off?? The monitor, and another
>> computer, are plugged into that same UPS.
>
> i guess i am just 'old school' on that one. i use 1 ups for 'playstation
> computer', 1 ups for 'file server' computer. 'external server',
> 'firewall server' and 'router server' are on single ups until i can
> afford 2 more ups. [see below]

	My wife's computer, downstairs, has its own UPS. The three PCs
that live at my desk have one each; an extra, like the laptop, gets added
into the biggest. The monitor is also connected to the biggest.

>> The young friend was here yesterday evening, and concluded immediately
>> that the power supply was dead. Maybe it did arc somewhere;
>
> did you try known good power cord? even with pulling 'power cord plug',
> wiring connections to plug can go bad just from handling.

	I had gotten one out, but he arrived early. I have now; no joy.

	Also, plugging or unplugging (not both, I just disremember which)
made a faint sound, which he called typical of bad power supply even
before he took the lid off.

> maybe law of averages caught up to you. maybe it was just it's time.
>
>> odd that that hasn't happened before. I've been pulling power cords, in
>
> {below}
> give thought to 1 power strip with a switch per computer when running
> more than one computer on a single ups. then you will not have to pull
> 'power cord plug'. unless switch on strip goes bad.

	Good idea. I wondered why they put those switches there ... And I
do have spares.

> also, i do hope you are running 'apcups' or 'nut' on both computers.

	I install nut on each machine, but haven't gotten around to
learning yet how to connect it up and use it. When we get power failures,
I just go around and shut down each machine, then its UPS.

>> The dead power supply is a type we can't get around here.
>
> open cover to see if fuse is blown. hopefully it would blow if problem
> was a current surge. if fuse is blown, ask young friend to check diodes
> to see if one or more of them shorted. also note if any resistors are
> discoloured.

	I'll forward this post to him shortly; thanks!

> if your friend lucks out and finds such is case and able to repair, ask
> him to add a switch. lacking of a switch is one more 'screw thee'
> attitudes of oem.

	Hmmm ... I have had machines -- eom machines, actually, with a
second power switch on the back. The friend who assembles ones for me
hasn't been doing that ...

> <snip>
>> of trifocal fingers and arthritic eyeballs, what I know of computer
>> hardware would go in a gnat's eye, and never discommode the gnat.
>
> lol. not your disabilities, but you phrasing.

	I work on it; incidentally, the original Reverend Spooner enjoyed
spoonerisms, and collected them. His favorite, uttered in disapprobation
to a pupil, went "Mr. X, you have hissed all my mystery lectures, and
tasted two whole worms."

> good luck to your recovering system.

	Thanks again!

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2.0