Project Stick In The Mud :-)

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 06:27:43 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Russell Miller <duskglow at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 18:43 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
>> > What gets me is that it's an integrated soundchip.  Usually those are
>> > pretty well supported, at least in basics.
>>
>> Out of curiousity, what soundchip is it? What does lspci say it is? What
>> kind of motherboard is it on?
>>

> It's an Azalia on a AMD K9A Platinum.

OK, sorry guys, but I'm going to reply to my own post, because I just found
a perfect example of why I feel like the whole thing is going down the
tubes.

I ran alsa-info.

First it tells me that it's going to automatically upload the results to a
pastebin site, then it asks me if I want to continue to run the script.
Strike 1.  It should have defaulted to no, and just ran.  It's just
outputting info, there's no need to protect me from myself.

Next, I run with the --no-upload option, cursing the damn thing out while I
do, and then it asks me again, do I want to run the script?  Yeah I want to
run the script, I *typed the command*.  What is it protecting me from???

So then, it runs, and outputs the data into a file.  Into a *file*?  WTF
happened to the unix idiom of sending things to stdout unless you
specifically give it a "-f" option?

I know you guys don't write alsa.  I'm not saying you're responsible for
this.  What I am saying is that for a long time sysadmin like me, this is
really a step backwards.  I just want to debug a fricking pulseaudio/alsa
problem.  Don't protect me from myself when the worst that's going to happen
is that I get stuff printed to the screen that I don't care about.

I haven't done a whole lot of exploration of Fedora 9 lately, I've been busy
at work with Centos.  It is ALL like this???

--Russell