Project Stick In The Mud :-)

Russell Miller duskglow at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 07:49:38 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Russell Miller <duskglow at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 18:43 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
>> > What gets me is that it's an integrated soundchip.  Usually those are
>> > pretty well supported, at least in basics.
>>
>> Out of curiousity, what soundchip is it? What does lspci say it is? What
>> kind of motherboard is it on?
>>

> It's an Azalia on a AMD K9A Platinum.
>
> 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
> (and guess what, copy and paste doesn't work into firefox, I had to do this
> manually...  I'm getting frustrated...)
>
> But, the plot thickens... or something thickens...
>
> I just bought a USB sound adapter.  It also doesn't work.  And this time
> pulseaudio is giving me errors.  ALSA sees it, alsa tries to load it,
> pulseaudio does something with it and it doesn't work.  And I would love to
> paste in the log output... but GUESS WHAT.  And if I right click on a blank
> section, it selects everything.  Let me type it in here...  by hand...
> MANUALLY.

I figured it out.  It's a permissions issue.  New users are not added to
pulse-rt, and the sound devices under alsa are not created with the pulse-rt
group permissions.  So it can't write to anything.  Adding a file in
/etc/udev/rules.d/00-permissions.rules that contains... oops, forgot, can't
paste.  Basically copy 40-alsa.rules, and change all instances of NAME=".."
to "GROUP="pulse-rt"".  Restart your window manager, and everything should
start showing up.

Now.  Do I like pulseaudio?  NO.  This is a huge, immense, pain in the
patootie that strikes me as unnecessary and annoying and frankly I hate that
I had to go through all this work just to get sound to working.  But it's
working.  So there's that.  Thanks for giving me a place to vent.

--Russell