Intel 965GM chipset with compiz

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Sun Aug 10 11:29:25 UTC 2008

On Saturday 09 August 2008 05:12, John Priddy wrote:
> Is anyone out there using this chipset on FC9 with acceptable video
> performance?

Depending on what "acceptable" means. Works for me.

> My performance issues are especially noticeable when
> 'scrolling' (for lack of a better word).  It is awful running mozilla,
> but its pretty poor using nautilus as well as others.

I guess that scrolling is up to the user-app, and can be implemented poorly. I
also remember that mozilla/firefox was pretty slow in that, while some other
apps (kdvi, kghostview etc.) were smooth.

> glxgears framerate is in the single digits.

$ glxgears
3402 frames in 5.0 seconds = 680.271 FPS
3626 frames in 5.0 seconds = 725.081 FPS
3615 frames in 5.0 seconds = 722.802 FPS
3593 frames in 5.0 seconds = 718.598 FPS
3620 frames in 5.0 seconds = 723.859 FPS
3597 frames in 5.0 seconds = 719.374 FPS

This is with compiz-fusion turned on. It seems slow, but is not single-digit
slow. :-) I suspect this is regular intel performance?

> Below is output from glxinfo:
> name of display: :0.0
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: Yes
> server glx vendor string: SGI
> server glx version string: 1.2

Same here. I am not an expert here, but have this chipset, so I can suggest
you to go to the compiz-fusion home page, and in their wiki you can find
pretty exact instructions on how to prepare xorg.conf for intel chipset with
AIGLX. This is what I did, and it works reasonably well (for me).

HTH, :-)
Marko