Project Stick In The Mud :-)

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Aug 10 11:24:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 00:11:57 -0500
"Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here, I think a compromise is necessary. If you're running a server, I
> think you're competent enough to turn of NetworkManager (it was really
> crappy a few versions ago). While I think there needs to be away to
> have a network connection on boot, that seems, even to me, to be low
> priority.

But why am I being called on to be the one who needs additional
competence? Why can't NetworkManager just say, "Oh look, this machine
has a static IP, let's just start networking exactly the same way
it always started". As long as people have to intervene to fix things
after an improvement, I don't consider it an improvement.