OT: Cleaning video head on my Betamax VCR

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Aug 10 13:35:37 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> isopropyl/isopropanol (apparently the same thing,
> but it'd donkey's years since I studied chemistry under crappy teachers)

The most official and correct name of the molecule
is "2-propanol". "Isopropanol" and "isopropyl alcohol" are also valid names
for the same substance. "Isopropyl" on its own is strictly speaking not a
valid name as it describes only a part of the molecule. Isopropyl groups can
also be part of all sorts of other molecules that might not be alcohols at
all.

Björn Persson