OT: Cleaning video head on my Betamax VCR

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Aug 10 14:23:55 UTC 2008

On Sunday 10 August 2008 04:43, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Saturday 09 August 2008, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Saturday 09 August 2008 22:20, Frank Cox wrote:

> > > Alcohol.
> > >
> > > That's what I use to clean crud out of the film projector in my theatre
> > >
> > > .
> >
> > Thanks Frank. I was sort of thinking along the alcohol line, but just
> > wanted some confirmation.
> >
> > What are you showing in your theatre this evening?
>
> PLEASE don't go out and buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Go get some
> medical grade alcohol, or PGA (as pure as possible) and take a piece of an
> old, CLEAN sheet and soak it in the high-grade alcohol, hold it *LIGHTLY*
> against the drum and then spin the drum. Try very hard not to let it catch
> the cloth on the heads.

I deliberately posted this OT? to the Fedora list, because I fully expected a
reply from Gene, but not so many answers, from so many folks with fine
suggestions. Thanks everyone.

I've got the old clean sheet, so tomorrow will cycle down to down, and attempt
to explain in French at the local pharmacy, that I want to buy some pure
alcohol, and what it's for. Hopefully I won't get any funny looks from the
staff, and will come away with a small bottle of this miracle worker.

Nigel.