kerneloops service

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 14:25:43 UTC 2008

> The other day I had the misfortune of making use of the
> kerneloops after
> toggling the RF switch on my laptop.  It lets me know that
> there's been
> one, and would I like to submit the information, but
> doesn't give me any
> clue about what it's going to send.
>
> Sure, I could probably do delving into my logs, and find
> the sort of
> information it's going to send, but I don't
> actually *know* what it will
> send (will it parse the log, will it use its own data, will
> it use
> something dumped directly from the kernel?).  And the man
> page is rather
> less than useful, although it does warn that it might send
> a bit more
> than just the oops.
>
> In this day and age of sensitive data, automated debugging
> information
> submission systems should present users with a preview of
> *exactly*
> what's going to be send.
>
> --

Tim,

Do not worry about the kernel oops report.  After you click on send, it will give you the address and the information that it send.  It is actually a good thing because it lets kernel developers know exactly what happened and likely get them to work on it to find a fix.

I run rawhide and I have encountered serveral oops with newer 2.6.27rc kernels.  I encountered an oops.  Here's an example so you can see what it sends

http://www.kerneloops.org/submitresult.php?number=48331

Hope this helps clear some doubts about kernel oops.

Regards,

Antonio