Project Stick In The Mud :-)

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 20:46:37 UTC 2008

2008/8/10 Russell Miller <duskglow at gmail.com>:

>> In all fairness Russel, unless you specifically want to mess with this
>> problem, the common way is to use Livna/Atrpms.. Livna even has a
>> kernel independent package whose name i can't remember which
>> will/should work with any kernel.
>>
>> So really, you chose the toughest way if you ran into that problem.
>
> How so?  Livna repo isn't installed by default from what I can see - maybe
> you know to do that and maybe I could have looked it up if it had occurred
> to me - but how would a newbie know to do that?

A newbie would likely either stick with the OSS drivers, (assuming
they get at least 1024x768) or they would Google it, or they would
give up.

Also, I personally think that Fedora should have an explicit warning
against use by computer newbies (ie. people not interested in fiddling
with their install at all) -- this is a separate topic, but I fee that
Fedora's FOSS idealism (which I like) currently stands in the way of
ease of use due to he behavior of most hardware manufactures.

>> Also, how is hardware support Linux (the kernel) fault and not the
>> people from whom you purchased, with money, your hardware?
>
> I'm not saying it is.  I already specifically said that I know the kernel
> guys aren't at fault for most of this.  I really don't *care* who's at
> fault.  It's just not working, and that's my point.

Fair enough.

( www.pembo13.com )