Hardware trouble? Me? Or ...??

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 10 14:13:25 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
<snip>
> That was probably a red herring and a brain fart, actually; the
> second is a laptop

i will accept red herring. wind does not blow this way often. sound
carries even less.

> What I'm trying to say is that the power cords I

ok.

> I had gotten one out, but he arrived early. I have now; no joy.

bummer. i was hoping for you.

> 	Also, plugging or unplugging (not both, I just disremember which)
> made a faint sound, which he called typical of bad power supply even
> before he took the lid off.
>
>> maybe law of averages caught up to you. maybe it was just it's time.
>>
>>> odd that that hasn't happened before. I've been pulling power cords, in
>> {below}
>> give thought to 1 power strip with a switch per computer when running
>> more than one computer on a single ups. then you will not have to pull
>> 'power cord plug'. unless switch on strip goes bad.
>

> Good idea. I wondered why they put those switches there ... And I
> do have spares.

they are on well designed supplies. any oem that leaves out a mains power
switch is just trying to save money.

> I install nut on each machine, but haven't gotten around to
> learning yet how to connect it up and use it. When we get power failures,
> I just go around and shut down each machine, then its UPS.

the linux documentation project has;
  http://tldp.org/HOWTO/UPS-HOWTO/x142.html

further info;
  http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&output=linux&restrict=linux
using '"fedora" AND "installing" AND "nut"' on 1st line will give you more
than what you need to get you setup.

>> open cover to see if fuse is blown. hopefully it would blow if problem
<snip>
> I'll forward this post to him shortly; thanks!

welcome

> Hmmm ... I have had machines -- eom machines, actually, with a
> second power switch on the back. The friend who assembles ones for me
> hasn't been doing that ...

normally one would not as it voids warranty. after warranty runs out is
when i have done such.

> to a pupil, went "Mr. X, you have hissed all my mystery lectures, and
> tasted two whole worms."

lol. rev spooner was a 'winner'.

again, much luck.

- --