Stripes on screen after installing Fedora

Bjørn Ivar Johnsen bjorn.ivar73 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 06:43:21 UTC 2008

2008/8/11 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>

> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 23:38 +0200, Bjørn Ivar Johnsen wrote:
> > How do I disable that X11?? I dont even know what that is??
>
> X11 is the basic graphical interface subsystem, on top of which run the
> full eye-candy environments like KDE or Gnome. It's the component which
> needs to know how to talk to your Nvidia graphics card for the rest to
> work properly.
>
> However, this being Linux, X11 is simply an optional component and the
> system will run without it. As I (and I think others) have said before,
> the way to run the basic system without the graphical part is to go into
> mode 3. This means X11 won't run and your Nvidia card will be used
> simply to show a basic text terminal, which is very standard and should
> always work. That should be enough to enable you to update the system
> and get the latest Nvidia driver, as explained already.
>
> By the way, please don't top-post on this list. Put your replies *after*
> the text you are replying to to, not before it.
>
> poc

OK. Then it would have been nough to say "use the text console", or
something like that..
But I am so wery glad for all this responses I have been getting, you are
all the best:D

Now, I do not now why, but I tried OpenSUSE 11.0, (a friend had it on a
dvd), and that worked like a charm... no problems at all.. just booted up,
and everything went just smoothly!?

I havent been able to try it out much yet, but it might look as if it is a
keeper.

It is almost confusing with all the different distributions there is of
Linux, but I think that if you are happy with one, there is no reason to
change to another. BUT, I must admit that I think Fedora looks better in a
way, so I havent quite given up trying installing it;)

I am wery tempted to take out the nVidia card, and use the internal, just to
see if the innstallation will be more successful then! Does anyone know
anything bout that??

Kind and thankfull regards:
Bjørn Ivar Johnsen