Stripes on screen after installing Fedora

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 19:32:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 15:52 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 22:53 +0200, Bjørn Ivar Johnsen wrote:
> > I just realized that I have to download a driver to nvidia card
> > specially for Linux!!!
>
> Just FYI, that sort of thing *may* or may not be necessary.  Fedora
> already comes with a driver for many NVidia graphics chipsets, but you
> may have a card that it won't work with, and you may need the closed
> binary NVidia driver maintained by NVidia, themselves.  Which, as far as
> I thought, is maintained more often.

nv is the weenie version. It sucks. It's there and serves some purpose,
but the real deal is vastly better.

> There are some problems with using the NVidia driver, it's a closed
> binary, and you're up a creek without a paddle if it interacts badly
> with your system.  I don't use it on two of my PCs, one because their
> driver is worse (on that PC) than the one that came with Fedora, the

I'm running an older 5200 card and the nVidia driver works a charm.
ESPECIALLY if you intend to do 3D graphics. There is no problem if it
works for you. If I could only use the Fedora supplied nV drivers, it
would be better to put a hammer through the CRT and place burning coals
in it for the view and Hotdog roasting, as far as functionality is
concerned.

As someone else posted, this ain't a religion. The "Right Thing(tm)" is
what makes it work, as it was intended. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339