F8/F9 Multiboot question

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Aug 11 23:40:19 UTC 2008

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> As I pointed out, I was ABLE to boot w2kPro, XP, and Vista
> ONLY if my BIOs is set to boot Windows-Drive as the
> Primary boot drive. Heck - the boot-loader IS Grub! It WORKS
> and note that the boot-win is a logical partition! As the table
> shows, for the Windows drive, partition-1 is w2kPro, 2nd is XP,
> 3rd is Vista, 5th is boot-win, and 6th is w-App1
>
> The problem is, that if I switch via BIOs primary boot drive
> to a Fedora-ONLY drive for which the generic boot-sys has
> chain-loader entries, Grub sees F8, F9, and Vista - but does
> not see w2kPro nor XP!

Take a look at the Grub map command - it can set the conditions as
if you the BIOS was set to boot from the Windows drive. This will
make Windows happy, while still letting you have the Fedora drive as
the first boot drive.

You can probably use something like this:

title Drive B
       map (hd0) (hd1)
       map (hd1) (hd0)
       chainloader (hd0)

I did this from memory, so I may have some of the syntax wrong. What
it should do is remap the drives just like you had booted from the
Windows drive, and then just to the boot loader on that drive.

Mikkel