Wireless LAN cards for Fedora?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Aug 12 03:33:32 UTC 2008

Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
> 2008/8/8 Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>:
>> Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:

>>> Well ... my experience is different from those in the reviews ( maybe
>>> they were using windows as some were talking about re-install? ).
>>> Signal strength is about 75% according to network-manager when I have
>>> direct line-of-sight to the wireless router. I have not tried walking
>>> around the house to see how far I can get a signal from my wireless
>>> router ( also a Linksys ... WRT54GL )
>>>
>>> FWIW, I am also running with the latest kernel for F9 x86_64.
>>>
>> Well, after a vast amount of hacking around with settings, I finally get
>> mine working, and it works fine just where I need it, at the far end of a
>> big old Victorian house, through floors and real walls. I'll be using it
>> tonight while I watch the first Giants game. ;-)
>>

> Strange ... you said you have to do quite a bit of hacking to make the
> Linksys WUSB54GC work, while in my case, just plug and play. What did
> you have to do ?
>
> You're using F9 ?

When I plugged it in nothing. After reboot it was detected but not used.
Went into config and set the ESSID, the channel and the key, then
repeated boot, still nothing. After much picking of options and
rebooting it started working, using settings I had tried before. I tried
all combinations of managed or not, start on boot or not, each followed
by a restart of networking, restart of NM, and then a boot to prove it
didn't work.

There's still some voodoo there, but for now it's working the nuts, and
I'm happy that I got the USB NIC. Supposedly the WUSB4310 will be
supported in the future, it's under development, etc, etc.

Oh, tried a built from scratch 2.6.27-rc2.fc10 kernel I built from
rawhide source, all not working until suddenly it started for no known
reason. I'm happy for the moment, will probably break it setting up a
"Starbucks profile" for a road trip I have to take. More learning
experiences.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>