Xvfb - desperate -- help needed...

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 03:33:17 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 22:57 -0700, Tod Merley wrote:
>  but I gotta have the X11
> > applications features enabled (thus Xvfb)
> >
> Hi Ric!
>
> The little I know of virtual frame buffers is that they are used to
> test hardware or provide a virtual KVM for an X client.   I think you
> simply want to get X11 running.  See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvfb
>
> For that I would be looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf (along with /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg).
>
> I do hope you find what you need.

I tried the wikipedia example and got my old friend again:
[root at iam log]# Xvfb :1 &
[1] 6791
[root at iam log]# xv -display :1 &
[2] 6793
[root at iam log]# AUDIT: Mon Aug 11 23:26:37 2008: 6791 Xvfb: client 1
rejected from local host (uid 0)
Xlib: No protocol specified

xv: Can't open display

THAT kinda error is typical of that which busts my jewels.
Does anyone suppose that it's related to gdm?? Should I use xdm?? Is
there some securetty config file to edit or something of that nature??
Xvfb seems to want to work, but somehow gets rejected. REFUSED! This
stick has beaten me for several months or more. I could use some
relief! :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339