Fixing or removing NetworkManager ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Tue Aug 12 15:55:12 UTC 2008

Hi;

Last week I was messing around with my network and Internet connections
and managed to break NeteworkManager.  See thread "Messed up my
ISP/Networkmanager connection !?" Aug 5.  Since I couldn't get it fixed,
I stopped and disabled the NetworkManager service.  I now find that many
of my gnome services are somehow dependant on it.

Will 'yum remove NetworkMangaer' remove it or will I end up in
dependency hell?  I would prefer to fix it but I am a fish out of water
when it comes to anymore than rudimentary network stuff.

My current ~/.xsession-errors.  I moved the
previous file aside before logging out and back in so it is absolutely
current.

xrdb: colon missing on line 18, ignoring line
SESSION_MANAGER=local/unix:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/3565,unix/unix:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3565
seahorse nautilus module initialized

** (nautilus:3654): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Not supported
Failure: Module initalization failed
** Message: failed to load session
from /home/bill/.nautilus/saved-session-0E9JFU

** (nm-applet:3708): WARNING **: nm_object_get_property: Error getting
'WirelessHardwareEnabled' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

** (nm-applet:3708): WARNING **: No connections defined
evolution-alarm-notify-Message: Setting timeout for 47486 1218600000
1218552514
evolution-alarm-notify-Message:  Wed Aug 13 00:00:00 2008

evolution-alarm-notify-Message:  Tue Aug 12 10:48:34 2008

CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...
connect: Operation now in progress
Unable to open desktop file /home/bill/Desktop/alacarte-made.desktop for
panel launcher: No such file or directory
** (evolution:3669): DEBUG: mailto URL command: evolution
--component=mail %s
** (evolution:3669): DEBUG: mailto URL program: evolution
libnm_glib_nm_state_cb: dbus returned an error.
  (org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown) The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

** (nm-applet:3708): WARNING **: nm_object_get_property: Error getting
'ActiveConnections' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: The name
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files

BBDB spinning up...

Shouldn't I be able to make commandline adjustments to network
configurations (for ill or good) and still get NetworkManager to
continue to operate, on my machine at least?  If I made mistakes,
shouldn't I, none-the-less, be able to correct them through the
NetworkManager gui?

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3