Fixing or removing NetworkManager ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Wed Aug 13 03:20:43 UTC 2008

Hi Jeff;

I would appreciate the help getting things back to normal.

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 15:05 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         I missed the original thread detailing how you munched your NM
>         config..ill need to go back and read it.  But quick answer for
>         now on how you can work around this until i understand how you
>         screwed up your NM config:
>

> Okay I've caught up.
>
> NM does NOT make use of most of the information set through
> system-config-network usage nor any information you manually set in
> the ifcfg-* scripts.  These are legacy network controls and there are
> provided explicitly because the developers of NM know..full well..that
> NM is not feature complete for all network needs. The are working on
> it.

> My gut feeling is you are primarily confused because you are expecting
> NM to read the legacy network configs..and they don't.  It's not clear
> to me that you made any changes to NM's configs..i saw you attempting
> to edit the legacy configs and resulting confusion.

Yes, that is what happened.

> Before we get into specifics as to what you should or should not be
> doing to configure to make NM useful for you again.. I need to
> understand what your network topology and a succint and completely
> english-with no numbers or urls-description of what you are trying to
> do with your network set up.

> For example... NM works perfectly fine for my very mundane network
> topologies I have to work with.  At home I have an off-the-shelf lan
> router which acts as both dns and dhcp... NM works just fine there
> wired and wireless.  I even vpn into work no problems.  At work I have
> another dhcp server configuration to deal with, nothing fancy..things
> just work..wired and wireless.

Your description fits mine.  I have a three computer home LAN; 1 dual
boot running Fedora 9 + WindowsXP; 2nd running Ubuntu + WindowsXP and a
3rd running WindowsXp.  The house was purchased completely wired with
cat5 leading to a central router in the basement which in turn is
connected to a cable modem leading out of the house.

> So I need to understand what inspired you to make manual changes at
> all..before I can attempt to direct you on what to do.

What *inspired* me was that the time had come to learn about networking,
from top to bottom; inside out.  In the past, including the Fedora 9
installation, I understood only the rudiments of network setup and
Internet connecting.  I basically let whatever front ends that existed
set the networks up for me.  Anaconda seemed to have correctly installed
NetworkManager for me when I did a fresh install of F9

A week or so ago I began to read various manuals, texts and tutorials,
all of which dealt with a pre-NetworkManager world.  The changes came
about as a result of various experiments, tweaks and tries using the
command line.

This is in fact something I would like to do over the next few weeks
until a understand more than just the basics.  If this means
NetworkManager is going to be in the way while I learn then I would like
to temporarily remove it.  I would like to end the learning process by
re-introducing NetworkManager but only after learning the wheres and
whyfors about its operation.

> I'm also probably going to need to review several of your network
> related scripts down in /etc/sysconfig

ifcfg-eth0:
# nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:1a:92:e5:dc:47
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_HOSTNAME=CASE
NM_CONTROLLED=no
TYPE=Ethernet
#DNS1=192.168.1.1

DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0
# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

For various ifup-xx and ifdown-xx scripts let me know which ones you
need.

I will be happy to post any other information you need, including router
data.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3