F8 vs F9

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 13 08:10:41 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 15:05, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> I need to install a few new systems in the next
> few weeks.  My requirements are: apache; C++ code
> development; netfilter; KDE; openvpn; and above
> all, stability.  I have heard a rumor that I might
> be better off with F8 than F9.  Is this true?

It depends entirely on what these new systems are to be used for.  KDE4 is
developing nicely, but is not yet at the level required for many production
purposes, and F9 doesn't give you KDE3.

If you are producing systems for developers, then go to F9, but if you want
general production systems, install F8.  Bear in mind, though, that F8 has a
limited lifespan left.  You will need to go to F10 before long.

Of course if utter stability is your need, go to one of the Enterprise
versions, such as CentOS.

Anne