help

Sanjay S Nair getsanjaysnair at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 11:24:38 UTC 2008

Hi Everybody,

I am new to Linux. I have actually left one week playing with and using
purposefully the new fedora 9. I have got solutions for most of the thing
all the time. I am a php starting developer and have installed LAMP,
phpmyadmin, drupal, filezilla, mplayer successfully and working perfectly. I
have some issues currently which I want to clear from relevant sources.

The Totem movie player and Amarok are installed alreadyin my fedora but it
is showing errors can't play. I know it requires gstreamer or xine and have
tried to install both but unfortunately both failed, i don't know what is
the problem.

I have installed some of the software from the source using the ./configure,
make , make install and I have removed the folder from which i have
installed it. Is that folder required for unistalling the software installed
from  that. I have no idea, I have read somewhere that it is required. i
want to know the right methods of installing and uninstalling the softwares
all possioble way.

When i install something I have no idea where the thing is going to be
installed (the directory path). I have less idea of the file system.

I want to have deeper knowledge in using Linux and want to dig into it to
learn more. And I know that its open source but I don't know how to use the
code. i mean where is all these codes located. how do I modify it and all.

Eventhough i have successfully installed the mplayer I am not successful in
installing the GUI for that player. i don't know sometimes it doesn't works
the ./configure, make, make install.

I have tried to see some videos from YouTube but the firefox shown to
download the plugin. i have downloaded and installed the plugin, i thought
everything will be fine but there is no audio only video working fine.

I have installed successfully the youtube-dl.py file and able to download
the files using that and viewing using the mplayer fine. And have also
installed the firefox plugin for downloading that is Okay.

I don't know how to upgrade the firefox and other stuff. I want to know all
the methods not just yum.

And the yum is not working it show some error pop up "Error: Cannot retrieve
repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: dag. Please verify its path
and try again"... And i want to know the offline method installer.

These all are my doubts about the Fedora 9 Usage.

I welcome the replies and lot of thanks for the replies in advance.

Thank you very much once again.

Sanjay.S.Nair
getsanjaysnair at gmail.com