help

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 11:55:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 16:54 +0530, Sanjay S Nair wrote:
> I have installed some of the software from the source using
> the ./configure,
> make , make install and I have removed the folder from which i have
> installed it.

Maybe you're doing this in order to learn about it, but in everyday use
it's rarely required. You install packages using "yum install
<package>". Be aware that doing your own builds means you get to keep
track of any changes in dependencies in the future, staying up to date
with new releases etc. Using yum and rpm frees you from this.

> Is that folder required for unistalling the software installed
> from  that. I have no idea, I have read somewhere that it is required.
> i want to know the right methods of installing and uninstalling the
> softwares all possioble way.

Depends completely on the instructions in each package. There's nearly
always a couple of files, called README and INSTALL, which will give you
this information.

In practice, the answer is almost always no. Once installed, you can
remove the build directory. However if you've changed any of the default
build parameters it can still be convenient to keep it around so you can
do "make uninstall" at a later date.

poc