[Bulk] Re: Fixing or removing NetworkManager ??

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 19:51:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:41 AM, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:

> > stop the legacy network service (keep it from starting at boot too)
> network service is disabled but refuses to unplug.  Every time I try to
> 'stop' in either the services 'gui' or by command line I get the
> following SELinux warning:
>
> SELinux is preventing ifup-eth (hotplug_t) "append"
> to ./dhclient-eth0.conf (etc_t).

where is dhclient-eth0.conf  exactly?   I think you should just remove it
since I dont think such a file exists for default operation.  Find where it
is, and if you want a backup of it to use later.. for more
experimenting...just move it to /root/  for now instead of deleting it.

> The applet appear's to function correctly.

So if the applet appears to function correctly...does the network appear to
work as expected?

> As additional referrence:
> /etc/hosts
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       CASE localhost.localdomain       localhost
> ::1                  localhost6.localdomain6     localhost6
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.1

i take it 192.168.1.1 is the ip of your router?

> ]$ route
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> 192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
> eth0
> default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
> eth0

looks fine as long as 192.168.1.1 is the router.

> Does NetworkManager have a separate configuration file?  If so, where is
> it?

The simplest answer is no... NM doesn't have a single configuration file
that can be compared to something like ifcfg-eth0.

I believe NM makes use of gconf for per-user configs about 'connections' as
well as gnome-keyring for network passwords. If you want to explore NM's
configs as a user you might want to install gconf-editor and use the gui to
explore the network related items you can edit instead of working with the
gconf files directly or using the cmdline tools. When you interact with NM
via the applet as a logged in user, you are working with the user configs in
the user's gconf registry..not a set of system defaults.

Before you go messing around with gconf stuff I would suggest you back up
your user's .gconf and .gconfd directories. If you make a mistake you can
just put the backups back into place kill the gconfd service daemon and have
things back in order.

The most important thing when poking at your system's configurations
directly via the cmdline or advanced ui tools..is to make sure you back
things up before you start the 'learning' process. And by back up I mean
directory structures you plan to add or remove or edit files under. If you
add a file and you don't take notes about what you added.. the only sure way
to make sure you remove the files is to refresh the directory entirely to a
specific known state.. not just copy in versions of pre-existing files.

There is no automatic 'undo all the changes I shouldn't have made button'
when editing configs. Backup...poke your system with a stick till you kill
it...reload from the backup..repeat.

-jef