F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Aug 14 01:51:02 UTC 2008

Greetings;

Why is it that every decent multimedia production tool always requires stuff
to build its tarball that is not part of the fedora repositories?

I have now failed for the second time to build a video editing application
that is compatible with the camera I have, and the multimedia build tools
available for fedora.  Most recently, kino, which FWIW I had running
flawlessly on FC2.

2 weeks ago I gave up building OpenMovieEditor for the same reason, its
dependencies simply cannot be satisfied on an F8 system.

Here is the exit stanza for a 'make' in the kino src tree, most recent
release:

In file included from dvtitler.cc:32:
../frame.h:51:35: error: libavcodec/avcodec.h: No such file or directory
../frame.h:52:37: error: libavformat/avformat.h: No such file or directory
../frame.h:54:35: error: libswscale/swscale.h: No such file or directory
../frame.h:111: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘AVCodecContext’ with no
type
../frame.h:111: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
make[3]: *** [dvtitler.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kino-1.3.1/src/dvtitler'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kino-1.3.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kino-1.3.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Those files are similar to the failure of OpenMovieEditor, which if I could
build, I might be able to use, but I still need kino to manage the video
importation from my camera, which has a firewire port and handles video in
real time, something that I don't believe OpenMovieEditor can manage.

I've been with redhat/fedora for a bit over 10 years now for my main machine.
When F8 support ends, I think that will be grounds for a divorce.  I'm tired
of the "keep the good stuff on the other side of the pond for legal reasons"
BS that is endlessly repeated from Research Triangle Park.  Why the hell
should we be 2nd class citizens?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)