autoconf macro directory

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Aug 14 15:31:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 22:36 +0800, Jacques Dong wrote:
> When  autogen.sh,  I got the following warning
> "Please add the files
>   codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
>   progtest.m4
> from the /usr/share/aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
> or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
> You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/. "

short answer to your question:
yum install automake gettext-devel

Longer answers interspersed below:

> Question 1: where is "autoconf macro directory"?
> I searched and found the director /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf, hope
> that's right.
Nope. cf. the error message above. /usr/share/aclocal is what you are looking for

> Question 2: where should i put config.guess and config.sub?
> I guess is either in "autoconf macro directory" or current directory,
> yes or no?
Into the directory containing your configure.ac.

BTW: Instead of reinventing the wheel, I'd have a look into autoreconf
(from autoconf).

Ralf