printer advice

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Thu Aug 14 16:22:55 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2008, François Patte wrote:
>
>> Bonjour,
>>
>> I need a printer and I found two laser printers available where I am
>> living now:
>>
>> Brother HL-2032
>> Samsung ML-1630/SEE
>>

> I cannot testify about the samsung, but Brother has what I would call
> excellent linux support, but you will need to get the correct set of ppd
> files from their web page.  If this printer isn't there, there is an email
> link to their support on the web page, and my query regarding an HL-2140 I
> had just bought was answered quickly, competently and courteously, pointing
> me at the correct file to download.  Self extracting, it installed itself in
> the proper location to be found by a restart of the cupsd daemon.  Then it
> was a simple matter of adding another printer profile at
> http://localhost:631.
>
> HTH.

I have just this week set up a Samsung on Fedora 9 with little problem.
It wasn't the ML-1630 but it was a CLP-610ND, and for CUPS to play with
it, I just needed to grab the ppd and rastertosamsungsplc to the
appropriate directories on my system and everything worked wonderfully.
Now getting it to work right in Samba... well that was a different story
(I don't know Samba well, so it was interesting to get it  to play well
with my systems that don't speak CUPS natively.) but support is pretty
good on that. Using Samsung, the 'install' program they provide can
really hose a linux system though. (NewEgg review was the source of this
knowledge, and I didn't even attempt the installer from Samsung)

>> I am not sure if they are working under fedora 8, because I cannot see
>> these printers in the list of available drivers (using
>> system-config-printer)
>>
>> Does anybody have some experiences about these printers?
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>> --
>> François Patte
>> UFR de mathématiques et informatique