F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 19:02:25 UTC 2008

> > For multimedia purposes, the only player that I can
> get working from source
> > is mplayer.  If I try xine, there will be conflicts
> with the fedora version.
> >  Vlc fails to build becuase of ffmpeg/ffmpeg-devel
> stuff.  If one tries to
> > build dvdauthor, k9copy, vamps, ..., others are a pain
> in the a** to build
> > because several things get in the way.
> >

> What exactly do you want... you want us to provide the
> sources for ffmpeg
> for you? We can't...sorry. We can't even provide
> you the sources.  That's
> how crappy the legal situation is. We can't even point
> you to the sources.
I want a Fedora spin that does not have any of this or makes the crippled stuff dependent on it.  I can get ffmpeg and build it from source, I appreciate Fedora has developement tools, and libraries to build it from the ground up.  What I would like is a Fedora system without the crippled stuff(No multimedia stuff, ie, totem, gstreamer, rhythmbox) all the stuff that is included.

I can install my own.  What I want at my own risk of course.  This is all.  This way I can build a good xine that can play dvd's and do stuff that the regular xine+totem can't do, ***although it tries very hard, but cant :( ***

> Honestly I don't know what you are trying to ask for.
> We provide the
> development tools... we provide a completely self-contained
> build
> environment apparatus via mock that lets you build your own
> rpms in a
> repeatable way. Our package maintainers uses these very
> same tools on a
> daily basis to do the work that they do. I would be shocked
> if a good number
> of livna maintainers did not make use of these tools as
> well, though I do
> not have first hand knowledge of that fact.
I wonder how these guys get to build vlc and make it work.  Their work is admirable.  Try to build vlc from source and see all the problems that you encounter.  It is a pain in the a**

> I can very easily build whatever I want. I have my own
> versions of things
> that I play with.. I make spec files.. i build rpms..and
> then using yum
> plugins such as yum-priorities to make sure my locally
> built repository of
> packages do not get overridden by fedora updates.
> In fact I did just that to build my cutdown version of
> ffmpeg that does not
> include the encumbered bits as I understand them. I pull
> the srpm from
> livna.. i stripped out the code that I think is
> encumbered...I made a new
> source tarball from that cutdown code...I use that as a new
> source in a new
> srpm..still called ffmpeg, and I built it under mock
> against the Fedora 9
> target to make sure it built cleanly without 3rd party
> deps. I then put the
> result into a local repository on my lan, so that it was
> accessible to all
> my machines.  I think used that local repository as a
> source for a local
> rebuild of kino and gstreamer-ffmpeg under mock.
This is awesome for you of course.  I do not know how to build rpms and deal with this, I have read tutorials but I get no where because errors arise and deps come into the picture it is not very nice :(

> The result is that I have a local binary rpm of a crippled
> kino,
> gstreamer-ffmpeg and a crippled ffmpeg so that I can get
> access to the
> ffmpeg functionality that is not tied to encumbered codecs.
> I use yum
> priorities plugin to make my local repo a higher priority
> than other repo
> definitions so I never have to worry about an update
> dragging in kino or
> ffmpeg or gst-ffmpeg ever again on my systems.
>
> great fun.  How exactly did you want it to be easier than
> that?
For you it is, but for me I just want to build from source.  But it is very difficult.  Of all the multimedia players out there only mplayer is the one that I can successfully build.

> > Telling us to move to another distro is not the
> correct answer.  Also to
> > get it from livna or freshrpms might be an option, but
> is it the best
> > alternative?
> >
> I did not tell anyone to move. Gene made a choice. What I
> am telling people
> is that there is work to be done to build a video-editor
> that can be
> included. If the work does not get done, the situation with
> regard to
> video-editting in Fedora will not get better.  Someone who
> cares about this
> needs to step up and work on a gstreamer based solution.
> Contiuing to
> reiterate the complaints isn't doing anything
> constructive.  We get it, the
> legal issues suck. We know, Message received.  Each and
> every person who
> reads what I am writing has a choice to make. I do not
> assume to know what
> the right choice is for every person. But I do think I know
> what the right
> choice is for Fedora and the long term sustainability of an
> open technology
> platform for video editting. And chief among them is a gst
> based video
> editting solution which makes use of plugins for encumbered
> functionality.
> Users who believe they can strong arm others into taking on
> ill-advised
> legal risks associated with software patents..is not among
> the things I
> think we need.
No we don't need for Fedora to do it, we can do it ourselves but the tools included in Fedora get in the way.  That is what is the problem.

> > Thanks jeff for trying to help us out, but it does not
> do much good despite
> > all the hard efforts that are put forth.
> >

> Shrug. If I thought this was not important. I would not
> bother with it. I do
> not need to be told that its a difficult problem.
>
> -jef"I am not afriad of failure, and thus I free
> myself to succeed"spaleta

In order to succeed we have to fail a great number of times.

Regards,

Antonio