Need application suggestions for ripping to Cowon A3 PVP

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu Aug 14 19:06:33 UTC 2008

I have little experience with CD ripping so your kind help wd. be
appreciated.  I have purchased a Cowon A3 (60GB) PMP for my daugther.
She has asked me to load up a selection of her classical music CD's
(83 of them!)  on the Cowon.  It does not use ID3 tags so I'll
organise things myself, probably by composer

I _would_ like to get all the metadata that comes on a CD when I rip
and load onto the Cowon.  Not sure yet what format I'll encode to, but
I'll worry about that later.  (She's a classical pianist and her ears
are golden.)

In the past I've just used cdparanoia from the comline to pull a few
.wav files.  No title, (except trackN.wav) or anything.  She won't be
happy with directories full of names like that!  (FYI, the Cowon A3
runs Linux internally, connects to a computer via USB and looks to the
computer like an external disk.)

What applications shd. I consider.  Amarok?
Suggestions and advice most welcome!
I'm running F8.

One more thing: she's entering the Conservatory next week and they require
their students to use Macs. I just purchased a MacBook Pro, if that
makes any difference in your suggestions.

Dean