x server nvidia driver problem

Ken Gullaksen krg at knowit.no
Thu Aug 14 19:34:09 UTC 2008

Dave Burns wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Ken Gullaksen <krg at knowit.no> wrote:
>> I'm having trouble getting the nvidia driver to run. X server locks up
>> on boot. This seems to be a known issue.
>> A post on nvnews:
>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102335 mentions that
>> 1.4.99 is not supported, and will not be supported until release of 1.5.
>>
>> Is this correct? And if so, when will x server 1.5 be available through yum?
>
> You give no details, so hard to know, but maybe your kernel doesn't
> have a matching kmod-nvidia? Livna is not up-to-date with the latest
> kernels. If so, booting an older kernel will solve your problem.
> Dave

The issue is due to the X server version, and not the kernel or kmod. If
there was a missing kmod then the driver would not load during boot and
there would not be an issue with the x server locking.

Sorry for the lacking details. I am running latest kernel in fedora 9. I
installed the driver from NVIDIAs website, also tried livna driver
before kernel update, when kmod matching the kernel was available
through livna. Same issue. I am running a Dell XPS M1730 with Geforce
8800m SLI on a X86_64 architecture.