F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 21:23:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 10:57 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Can a good solution be to use the free stuff built for the
> EvilEmpire's OS and run them through wine?
>
> There are a few applications that work fine through wine and were
> designed for windows users in mind.  There are ffmpeg, dvdauthor and
> the same free stuff(that is patent encumbered) made available for
> windows users that like to use them.  Why not use those through wine?

I don't see what is gained by this in a *legal* sense. Anything that
requires a proprietary codec requires a non-free license, whether it
works via Wine or not. AFAIK Fedora could still not include it, for
precisely the same reasons.

And if you can use non-free codecs from Livna or whatever, as many of us
undoubtedly do, then Wine is irrelevant as regards the legal position.

poc