[OT] Problem with Centos52 and VMware?

Joe Tseng joe_tseng at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 15 01:54:34 UTC 2008

Well I think my problem is solved.  Someone else pointed out that sometimes
a guest system's clock stops advancing and causes a problem with the
kernel's network stack:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/centos52-vmware-host-stops-responding-on-network-661399/

I have always noticed my guest systems' clocks always ran significantly
slower than the host's clock.  I did some searching and found that one
workaround for this was to add the flags "nosmp noapic nolapic" to the boot
kernel's entry in grub:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1420

My guests have been up for almost a week now so far with no ill effects.
*crossfingers*

 - Joe