F8(1) vs multimedia production(0)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 15 02:06:10 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 14 August 2008, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> I believe these 3 programs are all GUI programs, and even
>> root will get a connection refused message if another user is logged in.
>
> Maybe I'm dense, but what the heck has x running as root, a visual interface,
> got to do with what is supposed to be an audio application?

What I was trying to say is that if another user is using X, then
even root can not start a GUI program from the command line. You do
not have permission to connect to the X server. Now, if you have
more then one X secession open, then you may have to pass the
display to your program, or set the DISPLAY variable. (DISPLAY is
not set for a CLI login if you started X from another login.)

You run into this problem with any that tryes to connect to the X
server if you do not "own" the X server. (Unless you turn off access
control.)

With you logged in as root to the GUI, this is not the problem yo
are running into - this is why I asked the question - to determine
if this was your problem. As I don't log into the GUI as root, I am
not sure if it causes problems with PA, but I am guessing that it
does. I have not problems with PA when I am logged in as a normal user.

If you have some spare time, try logging in as a normal user and see
if that changes anything. If everything works, it is a good
indication of a bug on how root is handled. If it does not work,
then it is a good indication that it is a problem with your specific
hardware/software combination...

Mikkel