Where the h%^&^%$#! is KDE 4.1 ? Part II

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Aug 15 13:20:20 UTC 2008

linuxguy wrote:

> The Fedora and KDE communities shipped an operating system in which
> basic functionality like drag and drop and Kget doesn't work.  They
> didn't clearly warn people about things like this.   And you expect
> people to not complain ?

Constructive criticism is *always* welcome.  Don't let anyone tell you
otherwise.  Everyone should please try to frame future comments with that
in mind.

But, think a little about what you are suggesting, and how Fedora works,
with it's contributor culture.  Packaging and testing KDE-4.0.x was/is a
*lot* of work, and, if I'm reading between the lines a little, you're
suggesting at some point during the beta/rc phase of F9, this should have
been reverted because of a few missing features?  Rest assured, we did
consider it, with (loosely) defined release/blocker criteria too, but the
items you mention did not rise to satisfy those.

<soapbox>
As always (hopefully I'm not sounding like a broken record yet), the Fedora
KDE SIG is open and welcome to new ideas and help.  If you're at all
interested in fedora/kde and it's direction and focus, please do not
hesitate to contribute in any way you can,
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE

I'm Rex, and I approve this message.
</soapbox>

p.s. I'm little surprised too, that some folks don't seem to consider that
Fedora is, in fact, still shipping and supporting a kde3 desktop.  It's
called Fedora 8.